This recipe was developed with our turkey drumsticks in mind. Turkey legs are mighty and meaty, and this tandoori-style treatment is a great fit.
The complex interplay of spices and textures makes for an outstanding dinner. It’s great if you can buy whole spices and grind them yourself, but if not, natural food co-ops often have the freshest pre-ground spices available. Enjoy!
Tandoori Spice Roasted Turkey Drumstick with Turmeric Rice and Lime Yogurt Sauce
For the Turkey Drumstick
- 1 large turkey drum, about 2 lbs
- 3 Tbsp rendered fat or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup whole milk plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Turmeric Rice with Coconut Milk
- 1½ Tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 cup white basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1½ tsp turmeric
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 1¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
Turkey Drumstick Instructions
- Make the Marinade: Heat the rendered fat or vegetable oil in a sauce pan and add the spices. Stir the spices over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir the spices into the yogurt in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, garlic, ginger.
- Deeply score the turkey drum- about ½ inch deep on both sides. Season the drum with salt and black pepper and then coat with the marinade. Marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours but no more than 6 hours.
- Before roasting remove excess marinade from the drum and let it come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Roast the drum on parchment or butcher paper lined sheet pan for about 35-40 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160 degrees. If the drum is getting too dark, tent with foil about halfway through the cooking time.
Turmeric Rice Instructions
- Saute the onion, garlic and ginger until soft. Add the rice, turmeric and salt. Toast lightly while stirring for 20 seconds. Add the coconut milk and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover and steam for 15-18 minutes. Let stand off the heat for a couple of minutes then fluff with a fork.
Yogurt Sauce Instructions
- Mix all ingredients and serve as a chilled topping.