This week we’re featuring a recipe Chef Katy developed for our Certified Organic and pasture raised chicken wings. It uses the pairing of bright pineapple and the spicy bite of chili paste to create a delicious alternative to bottled BBQ sauce. We especially love grilled chicken wings for the light charring on the skin (although we’ve also included instructions for oven baking). Enjoy!
Pineapple BBQ Pastured Chicken Wings
For the Pineapple BBQ Sauce
- 1½ cups pineapple juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp chili sauce (sambal oelek)
For Fresh Garnish
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ red onion, cut into slivers
For the Wings
- 2 lbs pasture raised chicken wings
- salt and pepper
- Mix all sauce ingredients. Some will be used for basting, some can be set aside for serving. Unused sauce will store well under refrigeration for a month.
- Pat wings dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Light grill and allow time for the grates to come up to temperature. For most gas grills, set the burners to somewhere halfway between medium and high.
- Place seasoned wings on hottest part of your grill until the skin starts to turn a golden brown.
- Begin basting and turning every 3 minutes until chicken is cooked through at achieves an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
Oven Roasting Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top for the wings.
- Baste the seasoned chicken wings with the sauce and place in preheated oven.
- Turn the chicken wings over and re-baste every 15 minutes for a total of 45 minutes until chicken is cooked through and achieves an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Serve wings with additional sauce on the side, and garnish generously with fresh pineapple, cilantro leaves, and onion slices.